Free And Forced Convection Experiment .
Specification of Free And Forced Convection
bench mounted unit specifically designed to demonstrate the phenomena
of free and forced convection and to measure temperature profiles from
three different heat transfer surfaces
- Comprises of a vertical
air duct, with a transparent front for visibility mounted on a fan at
the base of the duct, three heat transfer surfaces, airflow, and
- Technical data is included for each of the
three heat transfer surfaces, which will enable students and researchers
to compare practical results with theoretical analysis for free and
- Three heat transfer surfaces supplied:
- A flat plate surface area 0.011m2
- Pinned extended surface area 0.0525m2
- Finned extended surface area 0.1414m2
duct incorporates a transparent front wall allowing complete
visualisation of the process and identification of the airflow and
- Each heat transfer surface is fitted with its own heater (240W) and thermocouples, to allow for easy interchange.
- All heat transfer surfaces incorporate guards to allow safe use outside of the duct for performing free convection experiments
Soft software for includes separate exercises for each of the heat
transfer surfaces in free or forced convection and records of all
measured variables for analysis and comparison of the performances
thermocouples measure the air temperature in the duct before and after
the heater as well as the surface temperature of the heat transfer
- The airflow is manually adjustable up to 10m/s.
- The airflow is measured by an air velocity sensor, which is inserted inside the duct.
- A comprehensive instruction manual is included